Come Join the Fun!
Become a volunteer at the Hudson West Folk Festival! You get free admission and a t-shirt with your wonderful experience as part of the volunteer community.
Check out our list of volunteer roles below, then fill out this form to learn more. We'll contact you and answer all your questions.
Learn More About Volunteering
VOLUNTEERS NEEDED FOR 2023
- Ticket sellers/check-in - Selling tix, providing wrist bands to attendees, assisting with volunteer check-in.
- Dining Set up - Move tables to dining area, assist as needed in setting up dining decorations, signs, etc., assist with set up kitchen and food, maintain tables, clean up during festival
- Musician Coordinator - Provides the overall coordination of the musicians on the day of the festival. Provides musician equipment security. Manages, schedules and coordinates tasks with Stage Manager, Load-in and Stage Assistants, and Artist Liaison/Green Room Assistants. Ensures musicians are happy and the performance schedule stays on time
- Stage manager - Talent will check in with this person; will instruct them on timeline for performance; will be in charge of rounding them up before their set and making sure they're on stage when they should be and that they stay on schedule; liaison between artists & sound crew.
- Artist liaison/green room assistants - Point person for artist arrival; arrange for help with load-in; oversee Green Room, ensure artists have everything they need, including but not limited to food, mirrors, etc. Will also provide role as Equipment check-in/security: Sits near Equipment room checking musician's gear in/out and securing valuables, gear and instruments.
- Load-in & stage assistant - Will assist artists with load-in of gear; other backstage needs as assigned by stage director & Green Room Manager. If needed (TBD), will also pick up headliner artists from (nearby) locations and bring them to the venue; will take artists from the venue back to nearby locations..
- Volunteer Coordinator - finds volunteers for those committees that may need more assistance; ensures department heads deliver communications with all volunteers so that volunteers know when and where to arrive, their job descriptions, obtain any training, who they should report to, etc. On day of the event, will move around volunteer staff as needs arise; will regularly check-in with department heads to see their staffing needs are being met. Obtains feedback from volunteers as to what could have been done better, and what worked well. Begin activities as soon as 3 months prior to the festival then weekly assistance 4-6 weeks before the festival.
- Misc Set-up volunteers - Work with other volunteers to clear out the music hall and vendor spaces, moving chairs and tables, moving wall partitions, etc. Set up concert hall seating, VIP tables, and merch tables and chairs. Set up signage for bathrooms, vendors, merch area, etc
- Misc Break-down volunteers - help put the venue back into order after the festival . Work with other volunteers to clear out the music hall and vendor spaces, moving chairs and tables, moving wall partitions, etc. Approximately 250 chairs and about 40 tables need to be folded and returned to storage.
- Music Workshop Coordinator - Works with the Hudson West Fest Board to develop music workshop ideas and manages the selection process. Communicates all necessary information to workshop leaders. Coordinates setup of the workshop area with the Venue Setup & Breakdown Manager volunteer. Likely will begin coordinating workshop musicians in the 1st quarter of the year up to the festival. Will work on the day of the festival getting stage set-up and managed throughout the festival. Makes announcements for upcoming workshops & helps workshop hosts if they need anything. Ensures sufficient seating. Troubleshoot problems for Workshop Musicians, e.g., PA system issues, equipment needs.
- Workshop Set-up Assistants - Help set up the workshop stage, chairs, etc.
- Workshop Assistants - helps workshop hosts if they need anything. Ensures sufficient seating. Troubleshoot problems for Workshop Musicians, e.g., PA system issues, equipment needs. Wrangles musicians to ensure they are ready and on-time for their session. (Work with the Musician coordinator team; green room, etc.). Ensure the stage is set up based on Musicians needs (15 minutes before workshop start). Wrangles attendees to ensure we have attendance.
- Event Maintenance - keep all tables cleaned up as attendees move around (VIP, food tables), keep place neat and tidy, check to ensure bathrooms are ok (e.g., toilet paper available). May also pitch in on the day of the festival as needed for no-show volunteers, giving other volunteers breaks, or to help with unplanned tasks.
- Merchandise manager - Organize table area both for artists' merch and for their meet and greet. Touches base with artists on their arrival to see how they want to handle merch sales. If needed, help artists with signage. Oversees the merchandise crew in handling sales.
- Merchandise assistant - Handles sales of festival and artist merchandise; assists with artist meet & greets.